To become a cadet, you must:
- Be a full-time student at BYU or UVU with a minimum of 3 full years left of study.
- Meet Air Force physical standards.
- Be between the ages of 14 & 31 and be able to graduate by your 31st birthday (waivers available under certain circumstances and more stringent age restrictions apply for some career fields).
- Meet Air Force height and weight standards.
- Be free of long term medical conditions that preclude you from military service. Your medical history will be reviewed through a Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DoDMERB) physical before you contract with the Air Force. Please see the official DoDMERB site for a list of disqualifying conditions (waivers may be available) and contact DoDMERB at 719-333-3562 if you have specific questions.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for any college credits received prior to joining (whether taken through high school AP/IB/dual-enrollment programs or as a college student).
- Be a citizen of the United States OR a permanent resident of the United States pursuing citizenship status.
- Not have a criminal record (some minor civil involvements such as speeding tickets can be waived, but must be reported).
- Not have used illegal drugs (including marijuana, regardless of decriminalization in some states).